School Board meets; approves several items; new Director of Special Education hired
The Butler County Board of Education met on Tuesday, May 14th, at 6:30 PM at Butler County High School. All members were present: Amy Hood, Ryan Daugherty, Debbie Hammers, Delbert Johnson, and Aimee Sanders.
Chairperson Hood called the regular meeting to order. The agenda was approved. The minutes of the April 16th meeting were approved. The board approved the treasurer’s report and payment of monthly bills. Finance Officer Eric Elms reported the balance at the beginning of the month as $1,596,307.21 and the balance at the close of the month as $1,699,974.55.
The Board recognized BCHS student Julia Bonilla for earning the national FBLA Community Services Award with over 500 community service hours.
Also recognized was BCMS student Brennan Bartley for winning first place in the state competition for graphic design.
Superintendent Scott Howard reported some of the past month’s activities. He mentioned attending the Superintendents’ Advisory Council meeting in Frankfort as well as the National Day of Prayer Ceremony and the Preschool Derby Picnic. He also attended the Campbellsville Excellence in Teaching Ceremony where the following teachers were recognized: Ben Wilson, North Butler Elementary School; Anita Cardwell, Butler County Middle School; and Leslie Glass, Butler County High School. Howard expressed his appreciation for those who helped to recognize students at the following events: the Playschool Graduation, Early Childhood Day, the Morgantown Bank and Trust Scholarship Ceremony, and the DAR Silver Tea. Additionally, he attended an FRYSC Advisory Council meeting.
Under the Communication portion of the agenda, the Board was provided with information regarding the following topics:
· LPC Meeting (May 16 - 5:30 PM)
· Todd County Board of Education Meeting - May 28th
· Mental and Behavioral Health Therapist Job Description and Position
Ø Mr. Robert Tuck explained the need for this position and potential responsibilities. The job description qualifications will be: (1) hold a current license in clinical or counseling psychology, social work, or other related mental health and (2) have counseling experience working with children and families.
· No School – May 21st (Election Day)
· Senior Walk – May 16th - 1:00 PM
· BCHS Honors Night – May 16th - 5:30 PM
· BCHS Graduation – May 24 - 7:30 PM
· BCMS – May 24th - 6th Grade Academic Awards - 8:00 AM; 7th Grade Academic Awards - 8:45 AM
· BCMS – May 24th - 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony - 1:00 PM
· MES – May 22nd - Preschool Graduation - 9:00 AM
· MES – May 24th - Kindergarten Promotion - 8:30 AM
· MES – May 24th - 5th Grade Promotion - 10:30 AM
· NBES – May 22nd - Preschool Promotion - 9:00 AM
· NBES – May 24th - Kindergarten Celebration - 8:30 AM
· NBES – May 24th - 5th Grade Celebration - 10:30 AM
· SBDM Minutes
· School Budgets
· Transportation Report
In the Consent Agenda portion of the meeting, the following items were approved:
· Gifted and Talented Out-of-state Trip Request to Visit the Adventure Science Center in Nashville, TN, on April 23rd, 2019
· BCHS Science Club Out-of-state Trip Request to Attend Engineering Day at King’s Island in Cincinnati, OH, on May 4th, 2019
· BCHS NJROTC Out-of-state Trip Request to Holiday World in Santa Claus, IN, on May 21st, 2019
· BCHS NJROTC Out-of-state and Overnight Trip Request to Camp Atterbury in Edinburgh, IN, on June 23rd-28th, 2019
· Gifted and Talented Out-of-state Trip Request to Visit the Memphis Zoo in Memphis, TN, on August 16th, 2019
· NBES 5th Grade Out-of-state Trip Request to Visit the Adventure in Science Museum in Nashville, TN, on May 15, 2019
· FY 20 Fidelity (Performance) Bond of Treasurer
· FY 20 401F (Teacher Quality) Budget
· FY 20 552F (Student Support) Budget
During the Student Support Services portion of the meeting, the following items were approved individually:
· FY 19 School Facilities Construction Commission KETS Third Offer of Assistance in the amount of $9,828 (requires matching funds)
· FY 20 GRREC Membership
· FY 19 Kentucky Public Schools’ Audit Contract and Requirements
· FY 19 Audit Engagement Letter with Carr, Riggs and Ingram
· FY 20, FY 21, FY 22 Years of Audit Services Proposal with Carr, Riggs and Ingram
· Creation of Mental and Behavioral Health Therapist Position
· Mental and Behavioral Health Therapist Job Description
· FY 20 Certified Evaluation Plan
Superintendent Howard reported that upon Sarah McKee’s retirement, Myra Swift will be the new Director of Special Education.
The meeting went into closed session for personnel and was later re-opened and adjourned.