Patty Craig: A Slice of Time
As we near Thanksgiving, my thoughts turn to being thankful. Others likely do the same. I recently read some articles about being grateful, and these articles caused me to realize that I overlook many of my blessings.
Abigail Baker wrote an article entitled “Instead of focusing on the negative, let’s remember the positives that come along with being an American” (https://www.theodysseyonline.com/9-things-americans-should-be-thankful-for). Baker’s article listed nine American blessings: religious freedom, access to clean water, education, safety, freedom of speech, “The American Dream,” beauty, culture, and the right to vote. The author is right: as Americans, we have much for which to be thankful.
Jeff Goins also wrote an article, “10 Reasons to be Thankful & Why You Need a Gratitude List” (https://goinswriter.com/thankful/). On his thankful list, Goins included health, his wife, his writing career, and grace. Goins commented, “There is still much to be thankful for, if we only have eyes to see.” I understand Goins to mean that even though we all face challenges, blessings in life are also abundant. In my worst times, I can think of blessings that made my situation better than it might have been.
Additionally, the following quotes reflect some thoughts about gratitude or thankfulness:
* “Appreciation can change a day, even change a life.” – Margaret Cousins
* “Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.” – Charles Dickens
* “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” – Gerald Good
* “We should certainly count our blessings, but we should also make our blessings count.” – Neal A. Maxwell
* “Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.” – Randy Pausch
Thanksgiving is a good time to recognize our blessings. Harry Ironside said, “Thanksgiving is the enemy of discontent and dissatisfaction.” As I count my blessings, like many of you, the list is long: a God who loves and hears, family and friends, the freedoms and blessings we enjoy within the U.S., health, home, etc. I am thankful: my cup overflows.