BtN Candidate Questionnaire: Edra "Dean" Hampton
1) Please describe the duties, as you see them, of holding the seat of which you are seeking and how you plan to fulfill those responsibilities.
The duties of holding a seat on the Morgantown City Council are simply to represent the good ideas of our citizens. It has been my pleasure to voice the concerns of Morgantown residents for the past two years and to see some of those ideas come to light. If re-elected I will do my very best to continue to express your concerns and make sure they do not go unnoticed. The council is here to represent the people, not ourselves.
2) What do you feel is the #1 issue that needs to be addressed in Morgantown/Butler County? If elected, what specific steps will you take to address this issue?
Getting people back to work has been the #1 issue for a while now in Morgantown. With a struggling local economy it has been difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but as we continue to reconstruct some of our current ordinances - business owners & residents alike will see the fruit of our efforts in the near future.
3) What do you see as Morgantown/Butler County’s greatest asset? How do you plan to expose and promote this positive feature?
Geography & our people are our greatest assets. With Owensboro to our North & Bowling Green to the South, Morgantown is located between the 3rd & 4th largest cities in Kentucky. This is something that we should take greater advantage of. The citizens of Morgantown & Butler County are fine hard-working people and need to be recognized as such.
4) Where do you see Morgantown/Butler County in five years?
My hopes are high for Morgantown. I anticipate a swing in the right economic direction for our city. I think with the recent work that has been going on, we will see an influx of jobs over the next five years thus, a rise in population. Retaining our people by offering a reason for them to live and work in our county is on top of my list. I would also like to see a new ‘spec’ building in our industrial park with the possibility of attracting new industries.
5) What qualifications do you believe you possess that would make you qualified for the position you are seeking?
I have lived and worked in Morgantown & Butler most of my life, having owned various businesses, while being involved in the community. Having served the past 2 years as part of our council I believe we have unfinished business and I would like the opportunity to help oversee its completion.
6) What role, if any, do you feel technology has in the future of Morgantown/Butler County? (High speed internet, 3G cellular service, virtual presence of our city/county, etc…)
Technology represents the future, not only for our city, but for the entire country. It is very important that Morgantown keep up-to-date with new technology. I have seen many businesses benefit through use of the internet and it is important that our city set an example and use technology to maximize our potential. I have a Facebook page you can visit here --> www.facebook.com/hamptoncitycouncil .
Please call me with any questions or concerns at 526-3077! Thanks for your support!