firehouse pizza banner

BRADD Executive Director addresses council; police and fire report February activities

Council members Bryan Locke and Amy Deweese

"We're here to help you," were the words spoken by Eric Sexton, Executive Director of the Barren River Area Development District (BRADD), at the last meeting of the Morgantown City Council, held on March 2.  Sexton addressed the council just to reach out and let them know that the resources BRADD offers are always available to the city.  From assisting with grant opportunities and offering various governmental training sessions to a social service division, Sexton said his organization is ready to assist local governments.  Saying that BRADD is "not partisan," Sexton indicated that the organization has provided approximately $2 million to Morgantown and Butler County through "all levels of programing," as well as assisting recently with the development of a regional comprehensive plan.   BRADD has 50 full time employees.

Eric Sexton, BRADD Executive Director


Morgantown Mayor Billy Phelps praised the work of BRADD and the services it provides to the city. 

"There are two things cities can't do without - the Kentucky League of Cities and area development districts (e.g. BRADD)," said Phelps. 

More information about BRADD can be found at

In other city business, Morgantown Police Chief Giles Taylor presented his monthly report for February.  During the month, officers answered 280 dispatch calls for service, worked 16 vehicle accidents, made 33 arrests, and opened five new criminal investigations.  The chief reported that 58 traffic stops were made and officers wrote 56 traffic citations.  There were five calls involving alcohol.  

"This brings us to a total service call number of 1,036," said Taylor.  

Chief Brian Hope and Ronald Givens provided the February report for the Morgantown Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to eight calls in the county, one vehicle fire in the county, one call for medical assistance in the city, three county calls were canceled en route, one call for assistance in both the city and county, one vehicle accident in the city, and two structure fires in the county (called back for rekindle of house fire) and one in the city.  

Total runs were 20 for the month.   


Mayor Phelps asked Hope how many firefighters are currently certified.  Hope stated that 90 percent were certified and the other 10 percent are working toward it.  


Bookmark and Share